Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Success at Trying

Let me first preface this post by warning you that this is not a story of success. Not in the Hollywood sense of the word.

There are a several things that I won't do. They can pretty much be summed up to include:

1. Dancing, unless I am drunk
2. Singing in front of you if you aren't family
3. competing in any kind of competition that I don't think I have a chance of winning
4. Anything that might draw attention to myself and cause me to feel foolish
5. Anything that might result in me becoming the center of attention

Many of these things are really for the best. Particularly the singing and/or dancing. It isn't pretty.

Ever since I was a little kid, we have spent time on a boat during the summer. Sometimes it would just be a time or two out on a farm pond, but the last couple of years have resulted in lots of boat time, now that Dad has his own boat.

This past weekend I confronted what I had avoided for the last 29 summers. As much as I fear lake water, I try my best to put it aside for the sake of my family. I work very hard to give my girls every experience that they show interest in, and then some. They both love the lake, so I deal.

One of Leila's favorite things about the boat is watching Cory and Papa water ski. I love the look of amazement and admiration in her eyes when she watches them, but that is not enough to get me out of the boat.

Last weekend I watched my sister Cassie as she persistently attempted to water ski. I watched from the boat with the kids and I thought about a time, not too many summers ago when Cassie wouldn't wear shorts, let alone a swimming suit.

The Cassie is one special lady. I am amazed by her for a lot of reasons, but on this day, I was impressed with her ability to overcome her own mental road blocks to be able to really enjoy life, and try. Something that I am not good at.

I took a page out of Cassie's page, set my inhibitions and fears aside and sat back in the cool lake water, with my Dad behind me for support (Thanks again Dad:)). The skis felt more natural under my feet than I expected, and the pull of the boat was not as fast and intimidating as I had always perceived while watching this activity from the boat. I sat back in the water, arms straight, knees bent and I yelled to my mom, the boat drive, "Go!"

The force of the water was felt against my legs and arms as the boat took off. I put all of my concentration into trying not to do the splits. Unsuccessful. A nose full of water later I had done it! I had finally tried.

Yeah, that is the end. I didn't get up out of the water, and I may never, but I tried.

When I asked Leila what her favorite part of the boat trip was on the way home that night I would be lying if I didn't say that I had hoped she would bring up my failed attempted to impress her, but instead she belted out, "Watching Cassie Ski! She tried and tried and she almost got it!" I guess I wasn't the only one in the boat that Cassie impressed that day, Thanks Cassie, you rock!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Yes, I have come a long way. When Leila was born, I thought a lot about the kind of woman she might grow up to be. I realized that I didn't want her to be like me-insecure, low self-esteem, etc. Which is why I often try to set my insecurities aside. I tell myself that it isn't for me, it's for my nieces and the kids I work with, but in the end-it's for me. Thanks for the encouraging words. And thanks to Leila for being her.

Tricia said...

You are a great example Cassie, I am so glad to have your influence on my girls! Love you!