Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chinese Mothers

I read an op/ed earlier this week that has stuck with me. As a mother who is constantly questioning my performance at my most important job, a column that points out that there is an entire country, a hugely populated one at that, where every mother out performs me is bound to cause some reflection.

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

As I read through the article, my first thought was that I was sure glad that this lady wasn't MY mother. I bet my kids would agree.

On second thought...as I bit my finger nails off today (The first time in MONTHS :(), and ate breakfast pizza when I am supposed to be dieting, and couldn't concentrate on my work at work, and gave up on getting my toddler to let let me brush her teeth, maybe I need to be my own Chinese mother. I certainly won't start calling my kids names when they "under perform" so being a Chinese mother to them is pretty much out of the question.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow! I read the article, and it is definitely a different style of parenting, and I have no idea what to think now. Definitely leaves you pondering...

Colleen said...

Me again... went to read the reviews on Amazon, and if you're questioning yourself (which you shouldn't be doing at all!) check some of them out. The people on there were better able to put into words what I was thinking while reading the article.

Tricia said...

It's hard to argue with the results, until you read about the methods. The methods made me feel really icky. Somethings just aren't worth it.

Tricia said...

A couple of funny/interesting rebuttals:
http://wendiaarons.com/2011/01/our-new-policy.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/opinion/18brooks.html?_r=2