Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Laundry

We have a laundry situation in this house. The situation is, that an entire room (or two) have been taken over by a mix of dirty and clean laundry. As we are planning a nice family birthday party for our big 3 year old on Saturday, my task for the day has been to go through the laundry and find a place for it.

I picked up a tiny little pair of pants that Thea wore once, and will never wear again. They are too small. As I made my way through the pile of clothes, reloading the empty tub that had held these tiny clothes before our baby arrived, I couldn't help but feel a little sad. Alright, a lot sad.

There is just something about that warm little bundle with their new baby smell and their tiny soft sleepers that I am in no hurry to leave behind. And right now I am really starting to come to terms with the fact that this is it. The last time I will have a newborn, the last time I have a squishy little one sleep on my lap. It is all just rushing past me too fast. Leila will be 3 tomorrow. Sometimes I will catch a glimpse of the baby in her, or remember a day, like a spring day a couple of years back...one of the first spring days of the year when the sun was shining into Leila's room and I was sorting through the laundry, with my little helper by my side and I just want to freeze time and drink them both in. This is one of the most heartbreaking, bittersweet, parts of motherhood.

1 comments:

Jessica aka Mommy said...

I couldn't agree with you more...I love to watch them grow, but get so sad at the same time!! Enjoy your time with your girls!!