Sunday, February 07, 2010

Our first parent/teacher conference

Love A Lot has a system of evaluation, where both Cory and I, and Leila's teacher fill out an evaluation form about Leila and her development and behavior.  Now that Leila is in pre-school, we had our first sit down discussion about Leila, and the differences in the way that we had scored her.
Cory wasn't able to make it because Thea was home with her first fever on Thursday, so I represented for both of us.
Overall, we both agreed that Leila is a very smart little girl.  She has an awesome vocabulary and she is capable of carrying on very adult conversations. She has been this way for some time, and I really appreciate that about her.  One other major area of agreement...girlfriend is STUBBORN.
A couple of things that I got to hear from Krystal that I didn't already know about Leila was that she does her own thing, she doesn't have a "best friend" at school, but can be found playing with any and all of the kids in the class at different times, and is also happy to play by herself if no one else is interested in her activity of choice.  This made me really happy.  I don't want my kid to be a loner, but I do really want her to be confident and happy without needing to feel accepted and validated by those around her.  Of course, she is just nearing the 4 year mark and lots can change over the years.  I am sure that we will have tough times, because lets face it...kids are assholes to each other.  I just really hope that my kid isn't often the ass hole, and is confident enough to not let other kids get her down.
The other thing that I honestly have worried about, and had my fears put to rest (somewhat) by my conference with Krystal, is that the teachers at Love A Lot view Leila as a compassionate kid.  She watches out for the other kid's feelings.  When another kid is building a tower, Leila will cheer them on and would never dream of knocking it over.  In my experiences with Leila, this isn't really true.  She isn't the nicest to Sawyer and to Thea.  I wouldn't call her compassionate, and it has caused me a lot of concern.  It is nice to know that she does display that behavior at school.  I wonder if it has to do with the fact that she spends a lot of time with younger kids outside of school, I can see that it might be harder to be nice to a baby that doesn't reciprocate that same courtesy.  At least that is what I am going to tell myself.
So there you have it, Leila is smart, friendly, independent and compassionate.  Does it get any better than that?

0 comments: