Friday, October 23, 2009

Cookin'


I do not like pumpkin in any form, that includes jack o' lantern and pie. But I have been craving pumpkin bars, and no I am NOT pregnant.

I bought canned pumpkin for the first time and Leila and I cracked into it this morning during Thea's nap time. Leila thinks it smells like carrots.

I scoured the internet for a pumpkin bars recipe before I came to my senses and broke open the trusty Anderson Family Cook Book. I like cookbooks, I like cooking, and I love family. So I consider it an extra treat to use a recipe of someone I know and love, like my family. Or the Pioneer Woman.
 

I located a pumpkin bar recipe, submitted by Aunt Sheila! Bonus. So Leila and I made Aunt Sheila's pumpkin bars, and they are currently cooling on the oven. I measured, Leila dumped and we shared the stirring duties...a great "Mommy day" activity!  Yum. ..the cream cheese frosting is still to come!

The picture is not my specific pumpkin bars, but I am sure that once frosted, mine will look at least as good.

For those of you who don't have access to the Anderson Family Cookbook,  here is the recipe:

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil (or substitute apple sauce!)
1- 15 oz can of pumpkin
Mix these ingredients and then add the below mixture:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix well and pour into greased and flours 12x18x1 pan.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Frosting:
6 oz. cream cheese
1 T. milk
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla

0 comments: