Friday, March 11, 2011

Gilead

I don't read Fiction books very often. I spend so much time trying to wrap my brain around the real world, that Fiction seems like a waste to me, when I could be focused on truth. Because I came across a reference to the book Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson that indicated that it was based on my hometown of Tabor, Ia, my interest was peaked. Couple that with the fact that it won a Pulitzer prize and the author is a local to Iowa City, I decided it was worth a shot.

I won't go into all of the details of the book, but I will say this. I should really give Fiction more of a chance. This book was so full of real honest truth that I can't believe it came out of someone's imagination. It is totally awe inspiring for me.
The premise of the story is that a much older father knows that he won't watch his son grow up, and he wants to leave something behind of himself.

I will share my favorite passage from the book:
"I'd never have believed I'd see a wife of mine doting on a child of mine. It still amazes me every time I think of it. I'm writing this in part to tell you that if you ever wonder what you've done in your life, and everyone does wonder sooner or later, you have been God's grace to me, a miracle, something more than a miracle. You may not remember me very well at all, and it may seem to you to be no great thing to have been the good child of an old man in a shabby little town you will no doubt leave behind. If only I had the word to tell you."

Wow. I loved love loved that.

You should read this book too. I hope you love it as much as I did.

0 comments: